Popular Posts

Monday, August 20, 2012

NUE Hampshire 100 2012

National Ultra Endurance (NUE) Series: Hampshire 100 2012

August 19, 2012       
Lazer helmets rock.

The feeling that you get when you begin a 100 mile race and realize how far you have to go is both unnerving and joyful. One can never be sure that they will be able to do it physically, or perhaps they will have a mechanical, or even get injured but the bottom-line is that you will get to spend a lot of time on your bike and that is a very good thing. There are also many variables involved which you can control such as proper preparation through training, arriving early to get a good warm up in, and eating a nutritious breakfast for example. I did not do any of these.

There are also other variables which are unpredictable and unexpected- for instance getting pulled over by a cop at 5am on the way to the race. “Do you know how fast you were going?” Before I could answer he said “52 in a 30”. Oh boy, I think to myself...this is not promising but whatever man, just give me a ticket and let me get on my way! I have a race to get to! “I’m giving you a warning. Slow down and have a good race” Thanks officer, that was cool of you.

I arrived a bit late- missed the bag drop and the 100 mile send off but managed to get moving a few minutes later with the elite and expert 65 mile group. I’m hoping to finish the 100 miles but not too hopeful that my legs are going to hold out.

The landscape around Greenfield New Hampshire is scenic with many old farmhouses and barns, plenty of hay fields, and many orchards and cow farms. We rode by a Guy playing a Violin over PA speakers, taking several loops around the property and hearing the music for a couple of minutes. It reminded of Gaelic war songs with us as the soldiers going into battle.

The trails were pretty rocky, rooty, and rough. It was a combination of double track snowmobile trails and singletrack along with a short amount of road. There were a lot of steep grades with loose gravel that made it difficult to keep traction up the really steep stuff. I walked, or slow jogged, a lot of hills on my bike...more than I would have liked. A geared bike was able to make most of the hills. I felt for the single speed leaders such as Gerry Pflug that were undoubtedly putting forth 100% effort in order to place well. This was not a single speed friendly course and it must have been a huge effort for single speeders and geared racers alike at all out race pace. I for one was not racing, well I was going as hard as I could for the most part, but I didn’t feel competitive with my peers in any way.

I was envious of the geared full suspension bikes around me and was tempted at one point to ask another rider if I could test out his Tallboy for the rest of the race. One interesting section of the course had 3.5 feet of water to either wade through with bike overhead or ride through. The guy in front of me rode it so I went in too and made it to the other side. Most of my friends waded through it though to save their bottom brackets.

The aid stations were properly set up and the volunteers were awesome as always. The NUE series always runs a top notch operation. The trails were very well marked and I didn’t get lost once or even think I was going the wrong way ever. Rare for a long distance race.

At mile 40 my legs were spent and I was having trouble making most of the hills. My bike wasn’t completely dialed, my conditioning was lacking, and I was second guessing myself. Combine this with an opportunity to bail at mile 65 and I was sold. It was a relief knowing that I didn’t have to do the full 100 which would have wrecked me and not in a good way. I’m still recovering from a back issue and my neck and shoulders were aching, likely related to poor bike fit.

My friends (all Team Bums members) did well in both the 100k and 100 Mile with
Chris Beriau of Bikeman.com placing 2nd in her class; John Modig of Zanconato/MTB Mind placing 3rd: Matt Chandler placing 3rd; Rob Paton coming in 17th. My harder than me friends who raced the 100 miles include: Paul Simoes of Bikeman placing 18th overall ; Karen Potter of mtbracenews.com/carborocket placing 3rd; and Brian Spring rode out all 100 miles. I ended up with a time of 6:54 for 65mi.


Brian coming in to the 65 mi mark.

 
Brian again


Matt Chandler in 3rd


John Modig and family, and Cori Paton



Winners received wind chimes


Modig places 3rd

Rob finishing up

2 comments:

  1. Finally a NH100 race report. I heard that race was tough as hell. Good job making it to the 100k finish. I probably would have gotten annoyed and quit earlier. ha. I'm used to hundies that have road and fire roads that give you a good break from the single track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a tough course, Sandie...nothing like the trails of Stowe! I will most definitely see you in MN for SSUSA 2013. They should have it during the winter and mandate fat bikes for all riders!

    ReplyDelete